Benvenuti a Roma! Well. We made it. We are currently sitting in the hotel lobby in Rome waiting for the rooms to be ready. Here's my Italian life so far:
Necessary airport pic. Thanks mama. :)
I woke up at 3:30am Saturday morning to catch our flight to Newark. I had quite the latte at the airport. I see you, triple shot of espresso. Christin is probably one of the best people to travel with. I don't think I have ever laughed that much on an airplane that early in the morning. I decided to acclimate myself to Italian time by not sleeping - so I read Harry Potter. Good times. Thheeeennnn we landed in Newark. I could see the New York City skyline. And of course, being THAT close to NYC and not being able to go into the city was the worst. I miss that city. What a tease. We had a five hour layover sooo we got some good ole fashioned American food at a diner in the airport where the waiter told us to take our time and not rush, then basically asked us to leave ten minutes later so they could use the table... What? Then I decided to charge my laptop... the plug was about 8 feet up on the side of a pole? Theeennnnn we boarded the airplane and we were on our way to Italy!!! WHOOOO! Neither one of us could sleep. So that means, we have officially been awake for over 24 hours going on maybe 2-3 hours of sleep. Running on that Aggie Spirit. A A A WHOOP. When we boarded the plane, I decided to start throwing out random Italian phrases. Well guess what. There were real life eye-talians on the plane and they understood what I was saying! WHOA! ;) So lots of Italian going on... suddenly I wished I had volunteered more to practice speaking in 102. Heh. BUT Jack, Genaro, and Burt would be so proud of us. :) On the flight I watched The Vow, read some more Harry Potter, and attempted to sleep. I couldn't stop singing "On an Evening in Roma"... Christin loved it. I feel like Lizzie McGuire right now.

Being goofy during our flight to Eye-talia... had to entertain ourselves somehow!
So here we are. In Rome. Is this real life? The first thing I did after going through customs was get a real life Italian espresso. Those things are serious. After we met up with the group, we were driven into the city to our hotel. I am in love with Rome already. The streets are a bit crazy and I have the feeling that no one really cares how they drive, but. Wow. It's like New York, but older, more beautiful, and... well... Italian. I love hearing people speak Italian! SO FUN. Until I try to speak... I can only get so far until I have to just be like, "alright homedog, I'm out of verbs."
My frist real life Italian espresso! It says "decaf" on the cup, but it definitely wasn't.
After we get our rooms, we will probably go on a straightener/ATM hunt. Aww. My first big adventure. Buuut most things are closed because it is Sunday. So many nuns running around! Love it. There is a ridiculously gorgeous building near here that they call "The Wedding Cake." WOW. It's amazing. I just love this place. It's so different. We have already met some cool people in our program. We have a welcome dinner tonight somewhere around here... Christin and I are borderline zombies. Power nap and shower is definitely happening ASAP. Christin is literally folded over in a chair... I think she is asleep? Precious. ;) Can't wait to see Shannon and Diane!
Fun facts of the day:
They sell beer at the Subway next door.
Italian espresso is far superior to Starbucks.
A $5 footlong doesn't exist. Oh, the American dollar.
A guy just told me that I have a Texas twang... oops. :)
Arrivederci amici! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment